There are a number of applications (Apps) available for Apple iPads/iPhones (and some available for Android tablets) that may be helpful for a person with MND who has communication difficulties.
The Apps vary in cost and all have slightly different features that may or may not be suitable for a particular individual. MND NSW does not recommend any particular Apps, App suppliers or brands of phones or tablets. The list following is not exhaustive and is updated from time to time as more information becomes available.
List as at 22 November 2018 (all prices to the best of our knowledge and AU$)
- Assistive Express – (formerly Assistive Chat) https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/verbally/id418671377 $38.99
- Grid Player - https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/grid-player/id456278671 Free. More information at http://youtu.be/VpI6AeiEZl4
- Proloquo2go - https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/proloquo2go/id308368164 $AU229.99. Demo App is loaded on iPads in most Apple retail stores so you can trial it there or more information at http://www.proloquo2go.com/About/article/ipad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuKv0Z2_HMo or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2LnUxFAaMQ&feature=related
- Predictable - https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/predictable/id404445007 $AU249.99. Evolves with the user where in some cases hand function deteriorates later in the progression of MND - adapts blue tooth technology with switches so hand function is not required.
- SpeakIT - no longer available on operating systems over V9.3 IOS
- Verbally - https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/verbally/id418671377 Free. more information at http://verballyapp.com/ or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYBngfhTlQM